Salvatore and Marjorie Gioe Memorial Scholarship
This memorial scholarship is named in the honor of Mr. and Mrs. Salvatore (Tony) Gioe whose generosity, love for their Lord, and concern for preparing students to serve the Lord, have made this scholarship possible.
The $1,000 – $3,000 Gioe Scholarship is awarded to a Lutheran High School graduate or senior with plans to enroll in undergraduate studies at a Lutheran college or university, or seminary for the preaching ministry, teaching ministry, or other full-time parish worker position.
- Applicants must be a Lutheran High School graduate or member of the senior class.
- Applicants must be preparing at (or applying to) a Lutheran college, university, or seminary for the preaching ministry, teaching ministry, or other full-time parish worker position.
- The applicant must be planning to attend or presently be attending a Lutheran institution on a full-time basis. Prior to distribution of the funds, the individual must be accepted and enrolled.
- The applicant must demonstrate academic skills by establishing a good grade point average while taking courses, generally regarded as college preparatory or while attending college, university, or seminary.
- Selection will be waited heavily toward financial need (in the event of more than one applicant) and the candidate and his/her family must demonstrate to the selection committee their need for financial assistance.
- The applicant should demonstrate service to church and community and be of high character as evidenced by responsible actions throughout his or her school years.
- The scholarship will be awarded without regard to sex, race, place of birth, or disability.
Students interested in applying for this scholarship must complete the Gioe Scholarship application and submit it on or before April 15.
Selection of the Gioe Scholarship recipient will be made by Lutheran High School’s scholarship selection committee based on careful consideration of each applicant’s application. The recipient of the scholarship will be announced at the annual Academic Awards Chapel.
The Gioe Scholarship award will be deposited directly to the recipient’s college or university account through notification the Office of the Registrar at the recipient’s college or university.
Past recipients of the Gioe Scholarship are eligible to apply for the award provided they meet the eligibility criteria described above.
SALVALTORE AND MARJORIE GIOE
Mr. Gioe served on numerous boards and committees for St. John Lutheran Church, was a dedicated Bible class teacher, and served as the Sunday School Superintendent at St. John for many years. He was also instrumental in the founding of Lutheran High School of Indianapolis. Mrs. Gioe had a gift for ministering to the elderly, supported her husband in his work, and brought up her family to recognize Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Gioe are grateful for the many blessings God has bestowed on them and their parents. They are indebted to their parents for bringing them to the Lord and pray that through this scholarship more workers for the Lord’s Kingdom will be trained to preach and teach the saving love of Jesus.
Questions about the scholarship or application process may be directed to Kathy Anderson, Director of Development and Alumni Relations, at email@example.com or 317-791-4092.